Training and development activities are an investment in your organization’s success and future, but only if done properly. Many business owners shy away from spending on training and development citing lack of results and/or short term (at best) behavioural change. This half day session will discuss the training and development process to allow business owners an understanding of what steps are involved from start to end in order to maximize their return on investment. This session will examine:
- How do you determine your training needs? A systems approach to training and development.
- What are the challenges to effective training in today’s business environment?
- What factors need to be considered when choosing a training solution?
- How do you ensure your training solution meets your training needs? The importance of learning objectives.
- What are the different types of training methods you can choose from?
- What factors should you consider when choosing an internal or external trainer?
- How and when should you consider evaluating a training program? What criteria are best to use?
- How kinds of training should you consider outside of specific skill-based training?
Learning Outcomes: Participants will leave this session able to:
- Understand the process to determine organizational training needs and support supervisors, HR professionals or consultants in carrying it out;
- Discuss the systems approach to training and development;
- Identify the factors to consider when choosing a training solution;
- Understand the importance of having well-drafted learning objectives prior to getting started in the training process;
- Have an awareness of the different types of training methods available and be able to provide insight to which are most effective for their organization and team;
- Identify the different pros and cons to internal versus external trainers;
- Provide feedback to trainers on when to conduct training evaluations and what level of criteria should be used for return on investment calculations; and
- List the various types of “special purpose” training that is available to your organization.