Workplace safety and accident prevention are as much about employee relations as they are about legal compliance. This half day session will introduce participants to the key factors around how and why to keep their employees safe at work and ensure they leave at the end of the day in at least as good condition as when they started. This session will examine:
- What other Human Resource Management functions are tied to occupational health and safety?
- What are the different types of legislation surrounding OH&S?
- What are the minimum program obligations under law your business must meet to ensure compliance?
- What are the three basic causes of accidents in the workplace?
- What strategies can you employ to help prevent accidents?
- What the role of the Safety Representative or Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee?
- The Department of Labour is at your door, what do you do?
- What are some potential employee health issues you should be aware of and proactive in considering?
Learning Outcomes: Participants will leave this session able to:
- Understand the link between occupational health and safety and other Human Resource Management functions;
- List the different types of OH&S legislation;
- Describe the minimum program requirements their business must meet;
- Describe the three basic causes of accidents in the workplace;
- Discuss the various strategies that be employed to help prevent accidents;
- Understand the role of the Department of Labour and what to expect if they visit their business; and
- Explain some of the potential employee health issues they may encounter in their staff and be aware of how to best work with those employees and issues.